Pages

28.9.11

Amaro Amore

One year ago, I had just been in Austin for one (mild) summer. I was just starting to train as a server at Fino and I think it may have been when I heard the word "Averna" for the first time. I was also fresh off of a long-term relationship, wondering why the hell I had packed my car and drove cross-country, and trying to figure out what my life plan was going to be if it didn't involve a guitar.

One year later, I'm still serving at Fino, I'm still single, still kind of wondering why the hell I packed my car and drove cross-country, and well, still trying to figure out the life plan. One thing I do know is that I've had my fair share of Averna- a long way from first hearing the word "amaro." Well, actually, I've also fallen in love... with my amaro amore.

Fino recently did a bitter bartender's evening hosting Bobby Heugel from Anvil Bar and Refuge in Houston, Texas. If you have been reading my blog, you may have seen me back in Houston in a winged hat with a sprained ankle and a massive hangover. From what I can recall, our beloved bartender from Fino helped takeover Anvil and now it was Bobby's turn to pay us back and pay us a visit.

Our amaro-based menu, thank you:


I had the pleasure of working the event. In addition to getting my ass kicked that night, it was an honor to prep and be a part of it. Amaro affairs are always bittersweet.

The affair continued at Second Bar and Kitchen.

London's Culling:

  • Averna
  • Carpano Antica
  • Lemon
  • Orgeat
  • Sea Salt

Later that week... at The Esquire Tavern, San Antonio:


Now this bar has been around since 1933 and opened to celebrate the end of Prohibition. It closed for a little while and just opened back up again in 2011 with a vengeance as well as a new and progressive direction.

Smokey Tiny Dancer:

  • Mezcal
  • Tequila
  • Lime
  • Honey syrup
  • Framboise
  • Egg white

Ender's Game:

  • Rye whiskey
  • Grapefruit
  • Lemon
  • Honey syrup
  • Carbonated Carpano Antica

Zhara Moon:

  • Gin
  • Allspice
  • Cucumber
  • Lemon
  • Saffron

Oh wait. Okay, sorry, Amaro, but gin, rye whiskey, and mezcal are my other three spirit loves.

But hey, I'm single. Who said I couldn't sleep around in a different zip code? No exclusivity established and I'm really not ready to settle down or sober up.

Maybe I'm in the right place of my life more than I realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment