Pages

16.2.12

Solitude

This week was a solitary week. I’ve spent eleven years in customer service and seven in restaurants. When you live this lifestyle, people surround you at all times from the clientele to your co-workers. Some interactions can be unpleasant, maddening, and appalling. Some can leave you smiling and can even change your perspective on life. Maybe sometimes if you’re lucky, you can return the favor and blow their minds with dry sherry.

I miss it. I’ve been craving social interaction more than I have chocolate ice cream this week. Not that I’ve been hibernating, I’ve been taking walks with my best and her babe, seeing old friends at the coffee shop, and meeting some of my favorite professional colleagues for cocktails but it is surely not the same.

Now I spend a lot of time writing, reading, cold-calling, tasting with strangers, driving my car, running, planning, budgeting, brainstorming, guitar-picking, book-browsing, and sleeping. I know this sounds fantastic and idealistic but it is comforting going to the same space five days a week and seeing your co-workers who you spend more time with than you do your own family. Then you leave the lifestyle and your friends who are in the restaurant industry work... when you don’t.

As I transition to this new life of solitude which I’m sure I will love in a week or so, I’ve had to find comforts in other things. One of them has been getting back into the kitchen and rather than snacking on cheese, marcona almonds, and the quick hamburger, I’ve been varying things up and mainly with a little help from my friends:

No comments:

Post a Comment