Pages

23.3.12

Weather Up

I lived in New York for six years and cannot think of a time I spent in Tribeca. I had no reason to. I lived on the Upper West Side and then Brooklyn, spent a lot of late nights out in the East or West Village, a lot of working on the Upper East Side and well, a lot of shopping and eating in between. I did go to a lot of movies in the quiet theatre of Battery Park and well, Tribeca just got lost. My one memory of Tribeca was a long walk from the Financial District to a diner on West 8th and I ran into people I knew standing outside at a bar there and preceded to smoke with said company on the stoop.

Now two years later, I’m walking from the West Village to Tribeca to purposely find an unassuming bar off of West Broadway. I’m looking for Weather Up, the offshoot of the Prospect Heights-located bar opened up by Kathryn Weatherup. For a Friday night, it’s not crowded. Signage doesn’t exist and when you’re this tucked away in Tribeca, this is certainly speakeasy style. You have to know where you’re going in order to get here. There’s no elbowing, pushing, or fighting for a bartender’s attention. The host greets you at the door and gets you your booth for five within fifteen minutes. The staff is approachable and sweet but can obviously handle their bar crowd and did I mention extremely good-looking?

The back bar is admirable and I’m mesmerized by the cracking of large cubes of ice and the tiny girl in their prep corner spot cutting fresh mint at 8:30pm on a Friday. The interior is made to look the inside of a subway station but the ambiance is far from cold. I’m taking a token of singed hair with me from their well-placed bar candles. Words of advice: it’s not poetic to admire an ice program while your hair’s on fire.


Weather Up pays homage to pre-prohibition and does it without taking any shortcuts. What this place does is take classic recipes, most a little lesser known, with quality ingredients and handles them with care. Recipes are measured, products bought are well-made, and the most admired ice doesn’t bruise the final product. It enhances it with clear color and perfect shape.

Weather Up is known for its intense ice program using a Clinebell machine that produces 300 pound slabs of ice every three to four days. The bar then has someone in the basement chiseling away for the final product.

barbados swizzle- gosling rum, lime, simple syrup, angostura bitters

I don’t know about you but it was exciting to see what they did in Tribeca and Brooklyn. I’m just as excited and curious to see what they can do here in Austin and how these New Yorkers will be received when they open up in just a short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment