Pages

29.3.11

An Austrian Feast in Texas

While I was at work one night, one of our chefs at Fino was in the kitchen and turned around to ask me if I happened to have plum jam laying around for a venison recipe he was interested in trying. As a matter of fact, I had this one lonely jar sitting in my kitchen that Jackie and I had made last summer that I had no idea what to do with- our plum mostarda. Mostarda is a traditional Italian condiment usually using mixed fruit with mustard oil or mustard seed with white wine vinegar. It is usually served with "bollito misto" or mixed boiled meats and compliments savory more than sweet. More than perfect for a venison strudel.

Lucky for me that I had that to contribute because they invited me out to their gorgeous house outside of Austin to their Austrian dinner feast. The menu included venison strudel, spaetzle with sprouts and snow peas, cabbage, my celery and artichoke salad, potato salad, collard greens, roasted pumpkin, and probably more that I can't remember as I slipped into a food coma halfway through. Needless to say, I spent my lovely Sunday underneath the stars, next to a warm outdoor fire, some chickens, new friends, and a stomach full of Austrian food.

our outdoor picnic table

our plum mostarda!

venison strudel

No comments:

Post a Comment