Pages

6.5.11

Day 1: Celebration BBQ

This 30-day challenge is already proving tough as I'm ready to hit the pillow and watch an episode of How I Met Your Mother. How can I not talk about Day 1 as I feel like I've started out with a bang? I headed down to San Antonio to celebrate with Jackie and her family as she was graduating from the University of Texas - San Antonio with her master's degree. I got in early and headed to Simi's Indian buffet for lunch. I haven't had Indian food since I've been in New York and I've realized it is sorely missed. Mm, chicken tikka, curried vegetables, samosas, naan, and chai:


After lunch Jackie and I headed to a small wine shop in order to purchase gifts for a fellow art history graduate and we headed to Joe Saglimbeni Fine Wine & Spirits. I could have spent hours in this spot with a cozy atmosphere, all the wine and liquor you could ask for, and a hidden back cigar room. Not to mention two of my recent fortified wine obsessions:



For $400 bucks a bottle. Oh yes. A lot of ogling and a $20 bottle of Rioja purchased. Success.


What better way to celebrate a dear friend's graduation from the University of Texas than with lots and lots.. and lots of barbecue from Two Brothers in San Antonio:


The backstory on the barbecue is that when I moved to Texas I also simultaneously ended my 8-year spat as a vegetarian. Everyone thought it would be fantastic idea to take Rachel to every barbecue place that existed. Overdose on the BBQ ensued but this pulled pork pulled me out of my aversion. That would also be baby back ribs, brisket, creamed corn, beans, and potato salad. I never got a picture of the berry cobbler with ice cream because I ate it before I remembered to take a picture.

I'd be safe to say Day 1 was a success. It's no master's degree but I feel pretty damn satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment