Pages

16.5.11

Day 11: Pieces of the Puzzle

About a year ago, I moved to Austin. Not quite long after that I started a food blog. June 10th I think was my first publishing. I also wanted a blog but never really knew where to put my efforts. It made sense once I moved to Austin to make it about my journey with food so I wrote this: my first post.

The point of all of this is to figure out where in the world of food I fit and funny enough- the more open to ideas you were so against in the first place, the more you kind of figure it out. I still feel like there's much more learning about myself in this foodie world to come but I do feel like some of the pieces to the puzzle are coming together.

I spent my first half of the day training behind this bar realizing that I may have found something to appease the way my brain works. I like end products and to-do lists. I like producing food and drink that people consume and appreciate. I tried working in the kitchen but I'm not a back of house kind of girl. Hosting, just ugh and let me tell you that this waiting tables gets kind of old. There's no craft to throw myself into. No specialization. Managing, no thank you. Never again. A bar? Hmmmmmm...

I've been a little obsessed with baking lately which I find strange but Jackie explained baking to me once as a lot more satisfying sometimes than cooking. There are directions to follow, a little allowance for creative freedom, and a final end product. Really it's not just the cookie or the cake, it's enjoyment from the beginning planning stages, the journey through the process, and satisfaction with the end product. My new obsession with baking reminds me a lot of my excitement of getting behind the bar.

There are recipes to follow, creative freedom, final drink products (that are yummy and alcoholic), and still just enough interaction with the general public to satisfy my social yearnings. If I could just wear a vest and tie, I'd be completely sold on this for a while.

This figuring out where I fit in food seems to slowly be coming together. I don't feel fully cooked yet but I'm going through the motions to get there. Just like I enjoyed baking these peanut butter cookies this evening whose dough turned out too crumbly. It's trial and error but I'm enjoying the process:

No comments:

Post a Comment