Pages

7.5.11

Day 2: Roomies

I continued my stay in San Antonio as I happened to have the day off with no other plans and spent it with Jackie. Most of you if you don't know already may have read that Jackie and I met on our first day of college at Fordham University. Yes, seven years later, not only are we still as you might call besties but apparently our relationship still holds some residual roommate qualities.

After spending our day running errands and writing flashcards for cocktail recipes, Jackie decided it would be a great idea for us to go out to dinner together. Since Jackie has given birth to a fantastic boy, we have adjusted to hanging out with nights in while the babe is sleeping but for the first time in two years, we were able to actually go out to dinner together. We headed out to the Liberty Bar in downtown San Antonio. Incredibly cute atmosphere in a renovated convent building with open wood-framed windows, tribal rugs on the wall, and paper table cloths contrasted with elegant glassware.

The meal on the other hand was pretty half-and-half. The wine, Jackie's Spanish rose and my dry riesling left a lot to be desired as they both fell pretty flat. The cheese plate was so-so as well- the almonds were okay (I'm totally spoiled being surrounded by marconas all the time) and I'm a firm believer that cheese should never be neon orange. The great half was the blue cheese which was creamy and mild (as I like it) along with the taleggio and drunken goat cheese.


Jackie and I split two light and refreshing salads- one with beets, orange, and walnut and the other with apples, prosciutto, and hazelnuts:


Although we were excited about the buttermilk pie for dessert, it tasted somewhat of boiled chicken. I at first thought it was tuna but Jackie was dead on about the bland chicken taste. Yes I'm still talking about the pie. Weird. Although the meal was so-so, the quality time was worth it as were the laughs over boiled chicken buttermilk pie and the strange clientele.

To continue with the evening, I had permission to raid the Dizinno liquor cabinet and practice cocktails from those flashcards I had made earlier. Ta-da, El Diablos:


Fill glasses with crushed ice.

Shake (per serving):
1 1/2 oz. blanco tequila
3/4 oz. lime juice
3/4 oz. creme de cassis

Pour over ice and top with ginger beer.

Boom. Add your best friend, the most recent copies of In Style and Real Simple, last week's episode of The Voice, nail polish and you have a seemingly reminiscent college night but...


...that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment